Lesson 6 Selection of Guru
To familiarize students with the authentic guru’s qualifications as defined and exemplified in shastra.
To equip students to:
- examine, select and develop appropriate relationships with ISKCON diksha and shiksha gurus.
- prepare for hari-nama-diksha, by giving attention to:
- suitable motivation, time and choice.
- the guru’s qualifications by current ISKCON standards.
By the end of the lesson students should be able to:
- Cite the general qualifications and symptoms of a bone-fide guru with reference to appropriate verses from Shastra.
- Discuss eligibility to become guru in relation to:
- Kanishtha-adhikari, madhyama-adhikari, uttama-adhikari Vaishnavas
- Sadhana-siddha,nitya-siddha & maha-bhagavata Vaishnavas
- position in Varna-ashrama
- Discuss the specific qualifications of an ISKCON guru, with reference to current ISKCON standards.
- Explain the responsibility of the prospective disciple to examine and select the Shiksha and Diksha gurus.
- Discuss appropriate and in appropriate utilization of ISKCON’s process of guru-authorization in one’s selection of Diksha and
- Differentiate between appropriate and in appropriate reasons for, and methods of, selecting Shiksha and Diksha gurus.
Cite appropriate references from the teachings of Srila Prabhupada and the broader Gaudiya Vaishnava tradition