Lesson 2 Guru-tattva and Parampara
- To help students understand the position, role and importance of, the various categories of guru.
- To help students understand the principles of paramapara and fallacious understandings, such as the philosophy of Ritvikvada.
- By the end of the lesson students should be able to:
- Explain in their own words the role and position of guru, as the representative of Krishna and the previous acharyas.
- Discuss how the guru is a manifestation of the mercy of Krishna
- List the categories of guru and explain their roles.
- Explain the import of Prabhupada’s statement “the guru is one”.
- Explain the terms hari-nama-diksha, mantra-diksha and Shiksha, and briefly discuss their importance.
- Discuss the necessity of accepting living diksha and shiksha-gurus.
- Explain and discuss the significance of the transfer of karma from the disciple to the guru.
- Explain, in their own words, the general principles of guru-parampara.
- Explain the fallacy of current philosophies, such as Ritvikvada.
- Give relevant reference to the teachings of Srila Prabhupada and the broader Gaudiya Vaishnavism tradition.